Patrick O'Brian Discussion Forum

Oh, ~that~ loss

Bob Bridges
robhbridges@gmail.com

Oh, I thought by "the loss" you meant who was killed during the action, rather than who went down in the storm later.  Got it.

On Thu Sep 28, Don Seltzer wrote
--------------------------------
>No, I was questioning whether there really were 200 Spaniards in the prize crew.  Other sources claim only 70 aboard, comprised of prize crew and British prisoners.  

>My other comment about Spanish naval tactics was meant to suggest that the battle was unlikely to have caused serious damage to the British ship.  The Spanish strategy was generally to close quickly, grapple, and board with overwhelming numbers of soldiers. A lot of hand to hand combat and small arms fire, but not much ship-battering from a distance.

>On Thu Sep 28, Bob Bridges wrote
>--------------------------------
>>You seem to be talking about the butcher's bill; I'm asking about damage to the prize herself.  If you think the damage to the hull was light, why did she need such a large prize crew?  200 seems unnecessary to take a 34-gun ship in to harbor somewhere.  Or am I to think that the ship joined the fleet as a fighting vessel immediately? I guess that would make sense.

On Sat Sep 23, Don Seltzer wrote
--------------------------------
>Different sources cited by Wikipedia put the loss at only 70, Spanish prize crew and British prisoners combined.

[ Previous ] [ Next ] [ Index ]           Fri Sep 29
[ Reply ] [ Edit ] [ Delete ]           This message read 112 times
[ DIGEST ]